Monday, November 14, 2011

Streetlight Manifesto, Cat Party, the Future



So you were born! and it was a good day
someday you'll die, and that's a shame
but somewhere in the between you live the life of which we all dream
and nothing and no one can ever take that away


Somewhere in the Between by Streetlight Manifesto is, has been, and will continue to be a song very close to my heart, because everyone has one or two ska songs that never stop being important. Beyond the Fuck the System and the No One Else Matters Because We Get Each Other and all that other punk rock business. I don't know. It is what it is.
I'm learning to play this song on my guitar, and I promise I will try to play it at Open Mic before I leave Oregon. I will I will I will. Okay.

Okay.

It is hard sometimes, you know. I struggle against feeling alone, sometimes. I struggle against feeling like I am struggling. I love everyone here, I love them dearly. I am just tired, and I have been far from home for awhile now, and I know I am not quite done with Texas yet. I forget myself. I always seem to forget.

whelp.
But I had a good time yesterday. We were all cats for a cat party. Whiskers grease-painted, ears and tails sewn and safety-pinned. We listened to bands with stand-up bass and beautiful boys and girls saying You Don't Have to Know How to Party; We Will Show You. I make the promise But I Will Come Back quite often, always right after saying that I am leaving in a month's time. Time moves slowly here but days go by fast, somehow, so I feel like Tuesday just happened but October was months ago. I feel like I've been here a long time.

"I Don't Know If I'll Be Back This Time" by Sea Wolf plays on Banshee, my version of iTunes (Zorin/Ubuntu OS), and then "Those To Come" by The Shins. They all make my heart ache from the nostalgia of what they mean to me.

I am very thankful that George is here with me. I think I would not be nearly as sane without him to cuddle up with. Sleeping alone became strange and unfamiliar to me, and unwelcome. He makes it easier. We care about each other very much.

My new thoughts about my life involve moving to France at the end of this summer. I graduate May 12th and would like to end up in France by Bastille Day if I can.
Fireworks.
Gautier thinks he might be able to hook me up with a job as an English tutor at a Catholic school in Rennes. He'd help me find a place to live and help me improve my French at the same time. It is an attractive idea.
Adventure. One-way Denver to Paris, less than $600.
Why not?

I get to go see my family in Denver in a week for Thanksgiving. I am very happy about this. It is a shame I have so much to do before then. But that is okay. It will be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment